Friday, June 12, 2015

Five on Friday

I'm on a work "retreat" today, so I wrote this bad boy in advance. I know, impressive. But, I thought I would keep it short and sweet. In honor of the weather man's announcement that "the 90s are here to stay", here are my top 5 things to do to beat the heat in Charleston. 

1.  The Beach

Charlestonians are a lucky bunch.  We are surrounded by water, with at least three beaches to choose from on a hot sunny day. If I had to pick a favorite, my vote would go to Sullivan's Island.  I may be biased though, as my best friend grew up there (read: I always have a good parking spot).  Although the beach isn't high on my list of favorite summer activities, I do enjoy a post-beach happy hour at some of Sullivan's local hot spots. If you haven't had a burger (or fish tacos) at Poes, you're basically missing out on life.

Sweet Miss Mads and I. Sullivan's Island Summer 2014.

2. Pools. Any pool. Give a pool.

If I don't have a pool in my backyard during this lifetime, it will be a crying shame.  Growing up, my grandmother had a pool. During the summer months, I would pitch a fit until someone would take me there, and once I was there I would just play - all day.  Granny used to have to bribe me to get out by offering ice creams just so my poor fingers would have a chance to un-prune.

Unfortunately, pools are a bit of a hot commodity in Charleston. If you don't live in at apartment community that has one, you are definitely keeping a short life of your friends who do.  Luckily, I still have access to one or two from time to time, and you best believe I am sucking up to those friends every chance I get.

3.  Boating. This girl will choose the boat over the pool or beach any day. Hell, the boat can be tied up to the dock for all I care. As long as I have a drink in my hand and a salty breeze in my hair, I am golden. I've been known to spend hours laying on the bow of the boat...sitting right at the marina.

I am #blessed to have a Captain husband who accommodates all of my boating needs. 

I mean the view from the bow ain't half bad.


4. The River.

There is a little piece of heaven just south of Charleston known as the Edisto River. My in-laws just happen to own a little slice of heaven in a quaint little town (read: area of the side of 17 south) called Jacksonboro.  We fondly refer to our little slice as Pon Pon (not be confused with Pon Pon Plantation - our slice ain't that big). My favorite thing to do in the summer (well, really any time of year) is to escape the hustle and bustle of town and head down to the river.  With a long dock that plops you straight into the fresh water of the Edisto, it truly is an amazing little place. Whether it be just C and I, the whole family, or a group of friends, this place never disappoints.

View from Pon Pon's dock at sunset.

Just last year, we started a new tradition: The Annual River Run.  We gather up as many friends as we can accommodate (and as many as the boats can accommodate) and run from Sullivan's Island to the house on the Edisto.  It is about a 4 hour trip one way.  These trips are the definition of the most epic weekends to exist.
C and I. River Run 2k14.

My bestie, Lucy, and I. River Run  2k15


5. Morris Island.

There is a gem of place just across the Charleston Harbor. Tucked neatly behind Fort Sumter. Where all dignity goes to die.  It's a little place called Morris Island.  If you're from Charleston or ever visited Charleston during a major summer holiday, I'm sure you've heard of it.  Things get weird.


People (and their boats) from all over come out and tie one on.  Lots of debauchery and drinking to be done. It can be a hot mess, but I tell you what. I wouldn't have it any other way on the Fourth of July.  

Obviously, C's true colors run on holiday's like these. 


There you have it. My five favorite ways to keep cool (and have a damn good time) during hot Charleston summers!

xo, 
SVH






2 comments:

  1. I always remember the ride out to Morris, but never the ride back. Curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always happy to make an appearance in your posts ;) Missing those Charleston waters on this smoldering 90 degree NYC day...

    ReplyDelete